Unit : The "Shiffler"
Year : 1851
Model : John Rogers Co. Baltimore Md. Philadelphia Style Double Deck Hand Pump
The Shiffler was made by the John Rogers Company in Baltimore Md. and was sold to the Howard Fire Co.(engine 1) in Baltimore Md.(Paca St.)
Howard Fire Co. sold the engine along with a hose reel to Shiffler Hose Co. of Philadelphia in 1859 for $500.00,as Baltimore was forming a paid department and purchasing more powerful steam fire engines.
The Shiffler remained in Philadelphia until 1877 when most volunteer fire companies were disbanded and the engine was purchased by Darby Fire Co. for $400.00,it remained in service until 1913.